Department of People and Technology, Roskilde University, invites applications for a position as assistant professor or associate professor in Societal and Technological Development from August 1st 2019 or as soon as possible thereafter. The position as assistant professor is limited to three years.
The Department produces research at a high international level that feeds into our educational programs, while simultaneously leveraging our research to impact social, economic and political change. A realization of this objective requires that research and educational activities are based on openness to the outside world, collaboration, inclusiveness and knowledge sharing. The tension embodied in the name of the Department, between people and technology, is a key feature of the Department's research.
The research in the METRIK group addresses the interaction between societal and technological development with particular focus on planning and innovation issues relating to environment, energy, nature and resources. The METRIK group works interdisciplinary, strategic and action-oriented with research issues on environmental transition and sustainable development. The research transcends the boundaries between the social, natural and the technical sciences, but with different focus related to academic backgrounds; for example the studies of implementation of renewable energy, waste management or sustainable landuse may link technical insight and innovations into resource flows and environmental impacts of technologies to social scientific knowledge about transition, regulation and planning. Often studies include e.g. user practices, industrial networks, infrastructure, and social capital. The group consists of 20 researchers half of which possess a permanent position.
The applicant is expected to teach at the TekSam master programme and at one of the related bachelor programmes SamBach or Humtek-Bach. The TekSam programme focusses on environmental problems and related planning and regulations with strong emphasis towards problem-oriented, transdisciplinary and collaboratory processes. The courses present theories and methods in analyzing, transformation and planning, within a broad group of subjects in environment, technology and society areas. The teaching in the courses combines knowledge from natural and social sciences with technological knowledge. In a very interacting and dynamic learning environment the students select topics for their student-projects – e.g. climate adaptation and mitigation, circular economy, renewable energy, transport planning, plactic, sustainable agriculture, land use, foods, sustainable cities and livelihood.
Read more about the recruitment process at Roskilde University here (https://ruc.dk/en/vacant-positions-roskilde-university).
Responsibilities and tasks
The assistant/associate professor’s work will primarily include research, including obligations with regard to publication/scientific communication and research-based teaching with associated examination obligation. In addition to research and research-based teaching, the position also requires share of knowledge with the rest of society – including participation in public debate.
The ideal candidate for the position as assistant professor is expected to:
- Develop a field of expertise by adding new significant elements to the doctoral thesis
- Demonstrate a steady rate of publications at international level
- Present papers at international conferences
- Take part in generating external funds for own projects
- Take active part in a research group
- Teach at both BA and MA level
- Develop familiarity with principles and methods of problem-oriented project learning (PPL)
- Actively work with pedagogical development
- Actively contribute to the research environment by a visible and physical presence at the department
- Perform minor administrative tasks related to teaching and research
- Engage in and contribute to everyday life of the department by being present, attending seminars, meetings etc.
An assistant professor is also expected to complete the educational training program for assistant professors at RUC (up to 220 hours).
The ideal candidate for the position as an associate professor is expected to:
- Accomplish research and engage in research collaboration meeting high international standards
- Contribute to the development of the research profile of the department
- Contribute to boost the international recognition of the research at the Department
- Engage in external fundraising to increase funds for the Department
- Play a role in developing the educational programmes of the Department
- Teach/supervise/assess PhDs, take part in the doctoral school’s teaching programme, and attract new PhD students
- Act as a mentor for junior researchers
- Contribute to the administrative responsibilities of the Department
- Participate in the Department’s communication with the broader public
- Take responsibility for the long-term well-being of the Department and RUC at large
- Actively contribute to the research environment by a visible and physical presence at the Department
- Promote RUC’s academic reputation
The applicant must participate actively in the activities organized by the METRIK research group and contribute to the development of problem-oriented and transdisciplinary research projects with colleagues internally as well as externally.
Applicants must hold a relevant PhD degree. The ideal candidate is expected to match the following profile
- Documented research qualifications and documented research production within the following areas: 1) Methodologies and theories in studying environmental, technological and societal dynamics; political ecology; science, technology and society studies; socio-technical system analysis; socio-economic analysis; socio-ecology analysis; and multi-level governance, 2) Subject areas (at least one of the following), a) Sustainable transport: transport and infrastructure; transport analysis; transport and city planning, b) Sustainable consumption and production: green transitions; industrial ecology; industrial symbiosis; circular economy; circular business models; environmental management and eco-design, c) Water and climate change adaptation: water and wastewater planning; eutrophication of surface water bodies; groundwater protection and climate change adaptation; planning in cities and municipalities, or d) Waste and resources: waste management, planning, and regulation; recycling,
- Teaching experience at bachelor and master level societal teknological studies,
- Experience with problem-oriented teaching and teaching in an interdisciplinary environment,
- Ability to teach and supervise in Danish (or Swedish/ Norwegian) and English.
The applicant is expected to possess initiative and good cooperative skills, be visible and actively contributing to organizing the daily activities in the research group and the Teksam teaching environment. Both professional and also social competencies will be prioritized in the efforts to create an inspiring daily working environment.
The candidate is expected to be able to teach in Danish and at least teach one of the two related basic education programs (sambach or humtek-bach). Experiences with problem-oriented project supervision and teaching at university level is expected.
In the assessment of candidates for an assistant professorship, consideration will be given to (random order);
- research topic,
- scientific production,
- research potential and the ability to promote and utilize research results,
- experience in teaching and education,
- ability to collaborate with external partners such as public authorities, private companies, NGO’s etc.
In the assessment of candidates for an associate professorship, consideration will be given to (random order);
- research topic,
- scientific production and research potential at an international level,
- the ability to create, promote and utilize research results,
- experience in teaching and education development and management,
- the ability to create an engaged and interactive learning environment that motivate and inspire students to develop all aspects of their profiles,
- the ability to attract external funding and manage research projects in collaboration with external partners such as public authorities, private companies, NGO’s etc.
For further information about the position, please contact head of the METRIK research group Thomas Budde Christensen tel. (+45) 2078-4379 / firstname.lastname@example.org or head of the TekSam study programme Bente Kjærgård (+45) 4674-2553 / email@example.com
Terms of employment
The employment is on full time, 37 hours per week and you will refer to Head of Department, Anders Siig Andersen
The position will be filled according to the Agreement between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations (AC) and Job Structure for Academic Staff at Universities.
After the deadline for applications the Head of Department will shortlist applicants for assessment with assistance from the recruitment committee including the chairperson of the assessment committee.
Shortly after the application deadline all applicants will be notified whether or not their application has been selected for assessment.
The shortlisted applicants will be informed about the composition of the assessment committee, and each applicant will be given the opportunity to comment on the composition of the committee and - later on - their assessment.
Once the recruitment process is completed, all applicants will be informed of the outcome of their application.
To apply for the position go to www.ruc.dk/en/job/
Only applications in English are accepted.
Applications must include:
1. Cover letter
3. Documentation of education
4. Teaching portfolio (read more about teaching portfolio at Roskilde University here)
5. A complete list of publications
6. A brief description of the research and development work you expect to perform in connection
with your appointment, including a short description of how you view your qualifications
in relation to the position.
7. A maximum of 5 relevant scientific works that you want included in the assessment
If any of the publications that you want included in the assessment are the result of a joint
effort, the extent and the nature of your contribution to each individual work must then be
clarified in a co-author statement (find template here)
Please submit your application no later than April 23, 2019.
Material received after this date will not be taken into consideration.
Roskilde University wishes to reflect the diversity of society and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.