Department of People and Technology, Roskilde University, invites applications for a position as assistant or associate professor in Mobility, Sustainability and Planning Practices starting August 1st 2019 or as soon as possible thereafter. The position as assistant professor is limited to three years.
The Department produces research at a high international level that feeds into our educational programs, while simultaneously leveraging our research to impact social, economic and political change. A realization of this objective requires that research and educational activities are based on openness to the outside world, collaboration, inclusiveness and knowledge sharing. The tension embodied in the name of the Department, between people and technology, is a key feature of the Department's research.
The position as assistant/ associate professor is related to the Planning and Urban Studies program, the Nordic Urban Planning Studies program and the Geography program.
These programs connect to the research group on Space, Place, Mobility and Urban Studies (MOSPUS). The candidate should be able to teach at the master program in Planning and Urban Studies, and the related bachelor programs (mainly the Bachelor Program in the Social Sciences and the Bachelor Program in Humanities and Technology). We cooperate with a range of different subjects and research environments across Roskilde University as well as with Scandinavian and international research environments. We value cooperation with practice and with a variety of institutions outside the university (often based in the planning field). We develop the programs in close dialogue with external stakeholders (alumni, evaluators, advisory boards). We welcome candidates, who can contribute to the transdisciplinary, experimental and dedicated research profile at Department of People and Technology.
Details about Roskilde University are available here (https://ruc.dk/).
Responsibilities and tasks
The assistant/associate professor’s work will primarily include research, including obligations with regard to publication/scientific communication and research-based teaching with associated examination duties. In addition to research and research-based teaching, the position also requires knowledge sharing with the rest of society – including participation in public debate.
The ideal candidate for the position as assistant professor is expected to:
- Develop a field of expertise by adding new significant elements to the Ph.d.-thesis
- Demonstrate a steady rate of publications at international level
- Present papers at international conferences
- Take part in generating external funds for own projects
- Take active part in research group activities
- Teach at both BA and MA level
- Develop familiarity with principles and methods of problem-oriented project learning (PPL)
- Actively work with pedagogical development
- Actively contribute to the research environment by a visible and physical presence at the department
- Perform minor administrative tasks related to teaching and research
- Engage in and contribute to everyday life of the department by being present, attending seminars, meetings etc.
An assistant professor is also expected to complete the educational training program for assistant professors at RUC (up to 220 hours).
The ideal candidate for the position as an associate professor is expected to:
- Accomplish research and engage in research collaboration meeting high international standards
- Contribute to the development of the research profile of the department
- Contribute to boost the international recognition of the research at the Department
- Engage in external fundraising to increase funds for the Department
- Play a role in developing the educational programs of the Department
- Teach/supervise/assess PhDs, take part in the doctoral school’s teaching program, and attract new PhD students
- Act as a mentor for junior researchers
- Contribute to the administrative responsibilities of the Department
- Participate in the Department’s communication with the broader public
- Take responsibility for the long-term well-being of the Department and RUC at large
- Actively contribute to the research environment by a visible and physical presence at the Department
- Promote RUC’s academic reputation
Applicants must hold a relevant PhD degree. The ideal candidate is expected to match the following profile:
- Documented research qualifications within Mobility, Sustainability and Planning Practices,
- Documented research production at a high international level,
- Teaching experience at bachelor and master level,
- Experience with problem-oriented teaching and teaching in an interdisciplinary environment,
- Ability to teach and supervise in Danish (or Swedish/ Norwegian) and English.
We are especially interested in candidates with competences related to Mobility, Sustainability and Planning Practices. We welcome candidates that can contribute to teaching and research related to current and central themes in the broad planning field (strategic planning, the Danish planning legislation, segregation, data driven urban development and urban ecology).
We prefer candidates with good communicative skills, skills in cooperating with varied stakeholders, and skills in connecting our surrounding world with teaching. It is a requirement that candidates are enterprising, possesses good interpersonal skills and will be visible involved participants in the department’s daily activities, in addition to being willing to engage in disciplinary and interdisciplinary collaboration across the department.
In the assessment of candidates for an assistant professorship, consideration will be given to (random order);
- research topic,
- scientific production,
- research potential and the ability to promote and utilize research results,
- experience in teaching and education,
- Ability to collaborate with external partners such as public authorities, private companies, NGO’s etc.
In the assessment of candidates for an associate professorship, consideration will be given to (random order);
- research topic,
- scientific production and research potential at an international level,
- the ability to create, promote and utilize research results,
- experience in teaching and education development and management,
- the ability to create an engaged and interactive learning environment that motivates and inspires students to develop all aspects of their profiles,
- the ability to attract external funding and manage research projects in collaboration with external partners such as public authorities, private companies, NGO’s etc.
For further information about the position, please contact Head of Department, Anders Siig Andersen. Tel. (+45) 6020 1562, email: email@example.com.
Terms of employment
The employment is on full time, 37 hours per week and you will refer to Head of Department, Anders Siig Andersen The position will be filled according to the Agreement between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations (AC) and Job Structure for Academic Staff at Universities.
After the deadline for applications the Head of Department will shortlist applicants for assessment with assistance from the recruitment committee including the chairperson of the assessment committee.
Shortly after the application deadline all applicants will be notified whether or not their application has been selected for assessment.
The shortlisted applicants will be informed about the composition of the assessment committee, and each applicant will be given the opportunity to comment on the composition of the committee and - later on - their assessment.
Once the recruitment process is completed, all applicants will be informed of the outcome of their application.
To apply for the position go to www.ruc.dk/en/job/
Only applications in English are accepted.
Applications must include:
1. Cover letter
3. Documentation of education
4. Teaching portfolio (read more about teaching portfolio at Roskilde University here)
5. A complete list of publications
6. A brief description of the research and development work you expect til perform in connection
with your appointment, including a short description of how you view your qualifications in
relation to the position.
7. A maximum of 5 relevant scientific works that you want included in the assessment
If any of the publications that you want included in the assessment are the result of a joint
effort, the extent and the nature of your contribution to each individual work must then be
clarified in a co-author statement (find template here)
Please submit your application no later than April 23, 2019.
Material received after this date will not be taken into consideration.
Roskilde University wishes to reflect the diversity of society and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.